Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Complaining : Update

After my last post I decided that my blog would no longer be wasted on my flippant, silly nothings of the day. Then finals happened.

My eyes are burning. I actually forgot to feed myself all yesterday until Natalie brought it up at 9 p.m. I am so tired I'm turning dyslexic, so when I passed the bookshelf in the RA office, I read The Mask of Zorro as The Rank of Ozarks.

However, Benthall's Renaissance final is done; Theo and I ensured sustinence for both of us tonight and made a lovely dinner together; I keep making myself laugh thinking of The Rank of Ozarks; when things just get to be too much Theo and I make each other laugh imitating Brad Pitt in Twelve Monkeys, "I'll have you shaved, sterilized and destroyed."

The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe was everything I could have hoped for. It was like my first view of Scotland when I visited; I had only just arrived, a stranger but it was all so familiar. I'd been there in my dreams. Upon careful examination, I decided that my favorite scene was when Lucy first discovers the wardrobe ("They even got the beetle on the window sill!" Joe repeated at least five times) and Lucy sweeps back the sheet revealing the door. (Lucy is so cute! I want British children!) Lucy goes into Narnia, loving the scenery, wondering at the beauty she finds around her. Then the adorable scene where she and Tumnus frighten each other.
"Were you hiding from me?"
"Or course not! I, uh, just didn't want to frighten you." The overhead shot of them under the umbrella is stunning. The entire scene of the discovery of Lewis' world was full of a child's wonder and the best response to beauty. It also shows the sharp contrast of how Edmund first comes into Narnia, distracted, suspicious, easily deceived.

And, yes, I still adore Edmund. I nearly lost it when a few people ripped on him after the movie. He is such a wonderful character. Edmund loves so deeply it is painful, but his main flaw lies in the fact that his love is at first foolishly misdirected. This was excellently captured in the beginning when he risked his life to get his father's photograph during a raid. In spite of all his flaws, he loves passionately (far more passionately then Susan ever could) and when he realizes his betrayal he chews on the ashes of his humility to be made clean. Lucy is enchanting, but Edmund is lovably flawed.

8 comments:

Thomas Peters said...

thanks, I feel like I've seen the movie now. :)

Thomas Peters said...

im forgetting my entire liberal arts education. what is the proper spelling for benthall's pet word that sounds something like this:

"kunghanneth"

I can't for the LIFE of me remember. and it's bugging me.

Kate said...

Thom,

The word you are looking for is "cynganedd." It's welsh, thus the spelling.

Meghan said...

Wow, Kate, how did you remember that? Are you even a lit major? I was just attempting to remember the spelling for the final...to no avail.

Thom,...um, you read the books. Sheesh, none of this should be a surprise, but I promise not to say anything about it, ever again.

Thomas Peters said...

thanks kate!

yeah, I've been inspired often to raise the bar on my blog.

it normally ends in the bar landing on my foot and me shouting an explative.

Princess Torie said...

I agree with Thom - I am not seeing this film until Christmas break - however I really cannot wait due to Meg's brief descriptions!
Megs - I would just like to say that even in the midst of finals, your posts still manage to be incredible... thanks for the beauty!

Louise said...

There's a reason Su doesn't make it to heaven and Edmund does. I hope you've read the books!!! Hee hee

The director made it possible to see each of the character's flaws. BEAUTIFUL film!

Meghan said...

Lou, precisely. Reaon only takes you so far, while humilty can save your soul.